I received a recipe for unicorn bars in my email last week and figured I should try it out. The internet keeps telling me that unicorns are a thing and who am I to pass up a delicious, colorful treat?
I shared the recipe with a friend and we decided to try it out during our monthly cooking date. We had originally planned to make a sweet chili tofu recipe but ended up going in completely the opposite direction health-wise due to time constraints.
We started making the bars after 9pm and it was probably one of the latest cooking parties I’ve ever attended. We didn’t buy any sprinkles specifically for this project but instead used a pre-mix of colorful sprinkle balls that my friend had on hand.
The beautiful mixture was a nice prequel of the cuteness to come.
After everything was mixed, we put it in the pan. It was very difficult to spread, so we had a nice shake shake shake dance party and there were some heavy pounding noises.
We cut the bars into pieces that would be big enough for the frosting – they turned out super adorable.
We used the frosting recipe that was included and added in blue food coloring. We only needed one tablespoon of milk, and the frosting turned out perfect and delicious.
After we were done decorating our goodies, we took a few selfies before diving into the required taste tests.
If you’re looking for a delicious treat that is 100% a wonderful addition to a selfie or your Instagram account, unicorn bars are a definite option. I personally did not love the sugar load, but they were super tasty and would definitely cure any sweet tooth needs. However, keep them safe if you have any men around. 2/3 of our unicorn bars were devoured by the men in our lives. Without permission.
Ready for the recipe? Here it is (from dearchrissy.com)
For the bars
- 1 Box vanilla cake mix
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding (just pour the powdered mix in your bowl)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons sprinkles
For the frosting
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- assorted sprinkles of your choosing!
For the bars
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, pudding, water, vegetable oil, eggs, chips and sprinkles in large bowl. I used a wooden spoon to stir.
- Pour the batter (it’s going to be thick) into a 9×13 pan lined with foil and sprayed with non- stick cooking spray.
- Bake your bars for 20-30 minutes (I took mine out at 25.) Bake just until the middle isn’t wobbly and edges are golden brown.
- Cool completely then lift out of the pan using the foil.
For the frosting
- Using an electric mixer beat together the butter and powdered sugar until well blended and smooth. Beat in the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk. If necessary beat in the remaining milk a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Add several drops of gel food coloring to frosting and stir.
- I piped some frosting on the middle of each bar, but, you could alternatively spread onto the cooled bars and decorate with additional sprinkles.
Interested in trying this out yourself? Let me know how it goes! I want to see your color combinations and decorating skills.